Bishop Monkton Church of England Primary School

The school opened in 1849 in the old school building (now a private house).  It expanded considerably in 1971 when the new school was opened, with some more rooms added in the next 30 years.  The old school building was closed a little after 2000. In more recent years, pre-school groups (Puddleducks), have also been based at the school.  Miss Doreen Willis was headteacher during the the expansion in numbers and the new buildings during her 35 year term, from 1956 to 1991.

The number of children was initially quite low, rising to about 70 when the new buildings were opened and up to about 130 in the mid/late 1980's. More recently the numbers have been just below 100.  

Pupils, Teachers and other Staff - Summer 1988



Head Teachers - 1849 to Present

1849-1869 J P Wheeler 1939-1950 Miss E Goss

1869-1887 John Newman 1950-1956 Ada Mary Walters

1887-1890 Reynold Andrew Cuthbert 1956-1991  Miss Doreen Willis

1890-1916 Smith Jowett 1991-1994 Peter Brunt

1916-1939 Helena May Shippam 1995-2009 Christine Duffield

2009-Present Mrs Sally Richardson/Cowling