The Star Inn

The pub was owned by Richard Lumley & Co.(Crown Steam Brewery, Bondgate, Ripon)
   until 1887 when the brewery was taken over by Hepworth & Co. Ltd.  It was sold by them in 1927.

Until demolished (sometime after 1920) to increase the width of the Knaresborough Road, the Star Inn was on the corner of St Johns Road and by the Church and Church Farm. The picture, viewed from the Burton Leonard approach, dates from about 1900, when the landlady was Hannah Foster.


This dates from about the same time.


  Viewed from Church Farm with the (current) farmhouse on the left before a semi hidden narrow old Ripon/Knaresborough road and then the pub - looking down St Johns Road / Main Street

  


The pub was open sometime before 1838 but the earliest picture of a landlord is Benjamin Chambers who took over in 1851


The Census data (below) shows that at the time there were 5 other families (10 people) living at the 'Star Inn' - some, presumably, in buildings and outhouses at the rear which can be partially seen in some of the pictures.


After Benjamin Chambers a Thomas Foster (1891) took over as landlord, 

followed by his widow, Hannah Foster (1897)


Also during the years when the pub was run by the Fosters there were multiple families living there and within the pub complex.  Details in the Census (below) but typically 5 more families comprising say 12 more people.

In 1911 Charles Lofthouse took over as Landlord.



Details of Dates, Landlords and their own families are below - 

  


   

Landlord History 1833-1917+ (as above)

Landlords


Census details - 1861-1911

Censuses